Dental veneers are extremely thin (wafer-like) shells of porcelain bonded to the topical surface of teeth to fix dental deformities like chips, cracks, fractures, gaps, and discoloration.
Veneers are popular among patients looking for both restorative and cosmetic dental procedures.
What are the benefits of dental veneers?
Porcelain veneers are widely used for cosmetic and restorative dental procedures. They provide numerous benefits. The most prominent benefits of dental veneers are:
- Dental veneers are fabricated from high-quality, medical-grade porcelain. Not only is porcelain tooth-colored but also reflects light like natural teeth. Teeth restored with porcelain veneers look natural and blend in really well with the neighboring teeth.
- Porcelain veneers are extremely versatile and fix an array of dental issues like chips, cracks, fractures, discoloration, gaps, and also mild orthodontic problems.
- Porcelain is stain-resistant. Teeth restored with porcelain veneers become immune to stains and discoloration. You can consume all kinds of foods and beverages without the fear of developing yellow or brown teeth.
- Maintaining and caring for teeth restored with porcelain veneers is easy. You have to treat them just like natural teeth and require no extra oral care regimen.
- The veneer placement procedure is minimally invasive as compared to other dental restorations. Only 0.5mm of tooth enamel is removed to bond the veneer in place.
- Porcelain veneers solve multiple cosmetic dental issues and make the smile look lustrous and mesmerizing. An improvement in the aesthetic appeal of the facial structure enhances your self-esteem and confidence and helps you enjoy life to the fullest.
- Porcelain is gum-friendly and does not irritate the soft tissues present in the oral cavity.
- Veneers are highly durable and with proper care last up to 15 years.
How are dental veneers placed?
Dental veneers require two visits to the dental office. Below is a step-by-step guide to veneer fabrication and installation.
Step 1: Diagnosis
Like any other dental treatment, veneer-installation also requires a complete and thorough oral examination to determine the extent of damage and how it affects the other structures present in the oral cavity.
Regular X-rays and panoramic X-rays are used to assess the damaged tooth. Teeth with chips, fractures, cracks, discoloration, and gaps can be saved with dental veneers only if the damage has not reached the roots. If the oral examination proves the damage to not be extensive and not have reached the tooth roots, the dentist proceeds to the next step.
Step 2: Treatment planning
This step requires the patient's active participation. The patient should communicate clearly with the dentist and explain in detail his requirements and the result he is trying to achieve.
Based on the patient's requirements, a custom treatment plan is generated.
Step 3: Tooth preparation
Next, the damaged tooth and its surrounding area are numbed using a local anesthetic. 0.5 to 0.75 mm of the tooth enamel is removed to make room for the veneer. The amount of enamel removed is equal to the thickness of the veneer.
Then, impressions of the prepared tooth are obtained and sent to a dental lab. A dental technician custom-designs veneers based on the unique impressions of each patient.
Step 4: Placement of a temporary veneer
It usually takes 14-30 days for the dentist to receive the veneers back from the laboratory. For this period, a temporary veneer is bonded to the prepared tooth to protect unwanted wear and tear.
Step 5: Placement of the permanent veneer
After the veneer has arrived at the dentist's office, the patient is called in for a second visit. The temporary veneer is removed and the permanent veneer is checked for its fit. The dentist makes sure that the veneer matches the color, shape, and size of natural teeth. Porcelain is available in a versatile range of shades and can be manipulated to match the shade of any individual's natural teeth. If the permanent veneer fits perfectly, it will be permanently bonded in place.
At Murray Dental Care of Cupertino, our entire team of dentists and hygienists is committed to providing supreme quality dental care to our patients and their families. If you are inclined towards taking the first steps to improve your dental health and hygiene, call us at (408) 253-5277 to book an appointment.